Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cold remedy

Since we're in the thick of winter, it's no surprise that I've come down with a nasty winter cold. But I'm not going to take this lying down! (Well, at least not figuratively.) I want to share with you this special treat I make that provides tons of cold-fighting nutrients in one big tasty glass of juice.

I start with one lemon and two or three Granny Smith apples (depending on their size). After washing them well, I slice the outer peel off the lemon, leaving the white bioflavinoid-rich pith intact.


Then I cut the lemon and apples into pieces and, lemon first, throw them all into my beloved Omega 4000 juicer.


What comes out is a frothy, refreshing glass of juice teeming with Vitamin C. And not to sound gross, but the juice from a lemon has an incredible mucus-dissolving ability. Cold begone!


Photos by Laura Muir