Sunday, February 27, 2011

Happy Oscar Day!

I'm going out on a limb and, for fun, publishing a few predictions for tonight's winners. Some of my guesses are kind of informed, and some, well, I may as well be throwing a dart. Some of my picks are based on hope, and some based on cynicism. (Academy voters can be dopes, and I'm still pretty bitter about this and this.) Anyway, here I go. Let's hope that when it's all over, I don't have to eat too much crow:

Best Picture: "The Social Network" (although I think "The King's Speech" should win) 
Best Director: David Fincher, "The Social Network" x
Best Actor: Colin Firth, "The King's Speech" 
Best Actress: Natalie Portman, "Black Swan" 
Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale, "The Fighter" 
Best Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo, "The Fighter" 
Best Animated Feature Film: "Toy Story 3" 
Best Art Direction: "Inception" x
Cinematography: "The King's Speech" x
Costume Design: "I Am Love" x
Best Feature Documentary: "Inside Job" 
Writing (Adapted Screenplay): "The Social Network" 
Writing (Original Screenplay): "The King's Speech" 

Photo by Laura Muir