Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The strum of a ukulele will never be the same again

Blue Valentine is as intense, raw and heartbreaking as everybody says it is. Indeed, I haven't been as unhinged by a relationship drama since watching Brokeback Mountain. I'm not sure why it didn't get more Oscar nods including a nomination for Best Picture, instead of The Kids Are All Right, and one for Best Actor for Ryan Gosling's performance. (As you probably know, Michelle Williams is up for Best Actress.)


I like how writer/director Derek Cianfrance explains the movie in this interview: "I wanted the past to feel like they were fish in the ocean and the present to feel like they were in a bucket."
And just something to keep in mind: instead of quickly getting up and putting on your coat after the last scene, pay attention to the closing credits. You'll see what I mean.
Photo by Laura Muir